Looking for a job?10 most sought-after skills in the UAE
Staff Report Published: November 24, 2016
So, what are the top skills employers are looking for to hire? Research done by The Filipino Times came out with a list that ranged from those having a business management degree to a plain know-how of running an office operation.
Here is a rundown of what’s in demand:
- Business Management degree or postgraduate (for any industry). Recruitment and careers portal, Bayt.com stated in a report about its latest survey that a graduation/ postgraduate degree in Business Management is the most sought-after academic qualification when looking for candidates followed by Engineering and Administrative qualifications. The survey had 2,001 respondents across the region.
- Engineering degree and experience. The UAE’s architecture and engineering design sector has in the past six months been on a hiring spree of project managers, lead engineers and architects, according to PentaGlobal HR Solutions.
“I think the hiring is stable industry-wide at mas dadami by 2018 in preparation for Expo 2020,” said Sheryll Bacay, PentaGlobal managing partner, referring to the world fair that Dubai will be hosting from Oct. 2020 to April 2021.
- E-commerce. In the age of digitalization, the ante has been upped. Therefore those with e-commerce skills will definitely ride the tide, experts said.
- Social media. Those in the sales and marketing field need to figure out how to better sell their products using social media, according to Black Pearl Management & HR Consulting.“Bilang sales person, pag-aralan ang social media at kung paano mabenta ang product through the social media,” said Florendo Padilla, Black Pearl managing director.
- Data and cloud computing. LinkedIn stated in its most recent report that data and cloud computing have topped the list of skills categories most preferred by employers from Germany to France, the US, Singapore and India.
- Data visualization and presentation. In the same report, LinkedIn said this segment has for the first time made the top global list of sought-after skills at number eight. “Data has become central to many products, which has created a need for people with user interface design skills who can make those products easy for customers to use,” said Catherine Fisher, LinkedIn public relations and communications blogger.
- User interface designing. Again from the LinkedIn report, designing the part of products that people interact with is increasingly in-demand among employers. It ranked #14 in 2014, #10 last year, and #5 this year. “Data has become central to many products, which has created a need for people with user interface design skills who can make those products easy for customers to use,” Fisher said.
- Good communication skills in Arabic and English. The Bayt.com survey report said this emerged as the top attribute that employers look for in a candidate. Good leadership skills and being a team player are the next two important skills sought by employers, the report added.
- Good sales and marketing skills. This topped the list at Black Pearl Management & HR Consulting, according to Padilla. “It covers the Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG), retail and trading among others,” he said, adding that landing second is those skilled in IT data management, telecom as regards security from hackers, and facilities management.
- Administrative proficiency. The Bayt.com survey report stated that “ about one in three respondents state that they are ideally looking for candidates with administrative skills.”