Mayweather rejects Pacquiao rematch rumors
Staff Report Published: November 19, 2016
LOS ANGELES: Floyd Mayweather Jr. has rejected any chance of a possible rematch against his Filipino rival Manny Pacquiao, saying his fighting days are over.
Mayweather retired undefeated with 49 career victories following an easy victory over Andre Berto in September last year. Prior to that bout, he beat Pacquiao in the most lucrative boxing match, reported ABS-CBN News.
The American, however, is not interested in having another go at the now fighting senator, the report said.
“Like I said before, I had fun while it lasted,” Mayweather reportedly said in Boxing Scene. “I had a great time while it lasted. Everyone keeps saying 49-0.”
He said he left the sport at the top of his career to avoid what happened to boxing legend Muhammad Ali.
“Muhammad Ali is truly missed. When Ali was at the top of his game, everyone hated Ali. They hated him. They had so many negative things to say about him,” Mayweather was quoted as saying. “And he was – at the end of his career he could barely talk. He could barely walk. And that’s not cool.”
So, to avoid getting pummeled too much on his head, he reportedly said, it’s best to stay retired.
This means the Pacquiao-Mayweather rematch will not happen, which the Filipino boxer was hoping for.
“My faculties – me being sharp and me being smart – is more important than anything. I’m happy I was a defensive fighter,” Mayweather was quoted as saying by ABS-CBN News.
“I’m happy I didn’t take a lot of wear and tear on my body. So the best thing about my career is this – I was able to leave the sport of boxing with no punishment, still sharp, and made smart investments. That’s the best thing about my career.”
Talks about a potential rematch was revived when Mayweather was spotted attending Pacquiao’s WBO welterweight title fight against Jessie Vargas early this month, the report said.