Weeks after promoter Bob Arum said the Pacquiao-Khan fight in the UAE was a “pie in the sky,” Michael Koncz, Pacman’s adviser, who had made the announcement at an Abu Dhabi press briefing, is this time singing a different tune: a Pacquiao-Horn face-off in Australia.
Manny Pacquiao is negotiating a July 2 fight with unbeaten Australian Jeff Horn, Koncz reportedly said on Saturday, Fool’s Day.
“We are working out the details for the fight on July 2,” The Manila Times quoted Koncz as telling Agence France-Presse (AFP) via text message.
Arum had been originally quoted in international media as saying the 38-year- old Manny “Pacman” will get into the ring with Horn, 29, in April, possibly in Australia, which had been offering to host the next Pacquiao fight prior to Koncz’ Abu Dhabi announcement.
The Australian state of Queensland has also reportedly offered to host the fight in Brisbane.
Pacquiao and British boxer Amir Khan had announced separately in February that they would fight on April 23 in UAE.
However, the Pacquiao-Khan fight fizzled, with Arum describing the reported $38 million UAE deal to the Los Angeles Times last month as a “pie in the sky.”
Now in the twilight of a colorful career, Pacquiao, World Boxing Organization welterweight champion, took a hiatus after winning a Senate seat last year but made a comeback in the ring last November in Las Vegas where he defeated Jessie Vargas.
Organizers have been arranging a Pacquiao-Horn fight weeks before the Pacquiao-Khan bout was announced, with Khan being the choice in Pacman’s twitter poll back in February.